Electroneuronography in determining the prognosis of Bell’s Palsy

Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 | Posted by Debajyoti Datta | Labels: ,

Bell’s palsy or idiopathic facial nerve palsy is the commonest cause of facial nerve paralysis. It is sudden in onset and unilateral. The cause of Bell’s palsy remains controversial. Inflammation of the facial nerve and subsequent compression of the facial nerve within the facial canal has been suggested as a cause. Infection by Herpes Simplex type 1 virus has also been implicated as a causal factor. Bell’s palsy is a lower motor neuron type of facial palsy.

left sided facial nerve paralysis or bell's palsy
Left sided Bell's Palsy. From eMedicine

In cases of Bell’s palsy associated with neuropraxia of the facial nerve there is full recovery of the facial nerve function. The management consists of medical and surgical interventions. Surgical management involves decompression of the facial nerve to remove the pressure on the nerve. Electroneuronography has been suggested as a prognostic test in case of facial nerve palsy and to determine if surgical intervention is needed. The prognostic value of electroneuronography has been investigated by Danielides V et al. in a study.

What is electroneuronography? It is an objective test to determine the number of functioning nerve fibers of the affected side in comparison to the unaffected side. The facial nerve is stimulated supramaximally on both the affected and the normal side. The amplitudes of the elicited muscle summation potentials are then measured and compared. The peak to peak amplitude is directly proportional to the number of intact nerve fibers and hence gives a measure of the neuronal degeneration. In the study, the usefulness of electroneuronography was determined using House-Brackmann facial nerve grading system as the criteria. The House- Brackmann facial nerve grading system is as follows –

  • Grade I. Normal – Normal facial appearance and function in all areas.
  • Grade II Mild dysfunction – slight dysfunction noticeable only on close inspection, normal symmetry and tone at rest. Forehead – moderate to good function. Eye – incomplete closure. Mouth – slight asymmetry.
  • Grade III. Moderate dysfunction – obvious but not disfiguring asymmetry, normal symmetry and tone at rest. Forehead – slight to moderate movement. Eye – complete closure with effort. Mouth – slightly weak motion with maximum effort.
  • Grade IV. Moderately severe dysfunction – obvious weakness with possible dysfunction. Forehead – no motion. Eye – incomplete closure. Mouth – asymmetric with maximum effort.
  • Grade V. Severe dysfunction – only minimally perceptible motion, asymmetry at rest. Forehead – no motion. Eye – incomplete closure. Mouth – slight movement.
  • Grade VI. Total paralysis – no movement at all at any level, obvious asymmetry at rest.
The study found electroneuronography to be a good prognostic indicator of facial nerve palsy. 97% subjects whose muscle action potential were within 51%-95% of normal made grade I or full recovery of the facial nerve, with degree of recovery decreasing with decreasing muscle action potential as determined by electroneuronography. The accuracy of electroneuronography in predicting the prognosis was 97.6%. Hence electroneuronography is an useful prognostic test to determine whether early surgical intervention is needed or medical intervention will suffice. Surgical decompression is recommended when the intact facial nerve fibers falls below 10% of the normal as determined by electroneuronography, measured within 14 days of onset of symptoms.

Reference:

ResearchBlogging.org
Danielides, V., Skevas, A., & Cauwenberge, P. (1996). A comparison of electroneuronography with facial nerve latency testing for prognostic accuracy in patients with Bell's palsy European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, 253 (1-2) DOI: 10.1007/BF00176700

4 comments:

  1. Gigi said...
  2. I'm also studying medicine. I'm on my first year. I'd love to chronicle my studies the way you did. Kudos!

  3. Debajyoti Datta said...
  4. Best wishes on your literary journey :)

  5. Celia Dave said...
  6. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August 2010. A valuable friend told me about Dr. Itua Herbal Center in West Africa. She gave me her phone number and email address. I quickly contacted him to guarantee that his herbal medicines will heal my cancer and I will heal forever I said OK.I ask him what is the healing process, he asks me to pay the fees I did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine and then he asked me I told my friend Gomez about the herbal drug so that he gave me to go and drink it.So after drinking for two weeks, I was cured, I am so grateful and I promise that I will do it I recommend to anyone who has cancer and that that I am doing. Herbal medicine Dr. Itua makes me believe that there is hope for people with Parkinson's disease, schizophrenia, scoliosis, bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, kidney cancer. , Leukemia, lung cancer, skin cancer, uterine cancer, prostate cancer Fibromyalgia,
    Fibrodysplasia Syndrome, Epilepsy,Sclerosis sickness, Dupuytren's Disease, Diabetes, Celiac Disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Alzheimer's Disease, Lupus, Adrenocortic Carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic Diseases.HIV Help, Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Cervical Cancer,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    ,Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Meniere's disease,Thyroid Cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer
    HIV Aids, Herpes, Disease Chronic inflammatory, Memory disorder,
     Here is his contact information ...... [Email ... drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. Whatsapp ... + 2348149277967]

  7. Isabella Math said...
  8. Nothing is not possible in this word.
    Herpes I cried out for 8moths had a cure and was making use of the Medication that never wanted a life living on drugs, I applied Antibiotics, he prescribed for me the acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex).
    They never get me cured.
    My God keep blessing you and your Family. Dr
    ODEY ABANG, your a powerful Herbalist fir your work in my life
    I wish you know how I feel inside me when I was making use of does tablets that never could there get me cured. I had to search about some of my favourite blogs when I thought about Dr Odey abang from the testimonies of patients and I remember a friend who told me I should try Dr. Odey Abang herbal medicine. He told me the man can cure me,but was shy and feel its dirty taking in herbs made with African herbalists.
    You need to know I would have been cured before now since I knew him then, but still interested in letting you that was my punishment.
    Thanks reading my article, feel good and not make my mistake, I love testimonies and explanations of the new beginning is all I hope for
    Think about your live and use herbs to get you cured of your challenge on
    HIV/Aids
    SYPHILIS
    DIABETES
    CANCER
    ALL CAN BE CURED WITH MANY OTHERS BY DR. ODEY ABANG
    His email is for you so you speak to him

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

Post a Comment