Outbreak of viral encephalitis in Bihar, India

Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 | Posted by Debajyoti Datta | Labels: ,

An outbreak of viral encephalitis is ravaging the childrenof Magadh division in Bihar India. This is the second wave of encephalitis that has hit the state after the rainy season with 383 children affected and 82 lives lost. The local health authorities are ill equipped to handle such an epidemic and Bihar being one of the poorest states of India does not help much. Conveniently the local media has given it scant or no coverage.

Image courtesy: The Hindu
 Suspected causative agents

It appears that more than one microorganism is responsible for the outbreak with the Japanese encephalitis virus (JEV) being the prime suspect. It is estimated that at least one third of the cases are caused by JEV which is endemic in the region. JEV, a flavivirus, consists of eight virus species and two subtype viruses. Japanese encephalitis is a zoonotic disease with the zoonotic cycle affecting mosquitoes and pigs and/or water birds. Humans are dead end hosts and become infected accidentally. The major vector implicated in transmission to humans is the mosquito Culex tritaeniorhynchus, breeding mainly in rice paddies. Both rice paddies and pigs are abundant in rural Bihar, perpetuating the epidemic.

JEV has an incubation period of 5 to 15 days with the average incubation period being 6-8 days. There is usually a prodromal period at the onset characterized by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever and headache. The prodromal period, which can last for several days, is followed by higher mental functional abnormalities ranging from mild confusion to coma. Seizures are common in children. Tremors and other movement disorders may occur. Acute flaccid paralysis resembling poliomyelitis may also occur. The fever generally disappears by the second week of the disease followed by the onset of extrapyramidal symptoms like chorea.

On examination, hypertonia and hyperreflexia may be present. There may be cranial nerve involvement like facial palsy etc. Parkinson like extrapyramidal features may be present. Mortality in resource poor settings is about 35%.

In ProMED-mail, an internet based outbreak reporting system of the International Society for Infectious Diseases, enterovirus infection has also been suggested as a plausible etiologic agent. However there is no evidence available at present for an enteroviral cause.

Failure of Policy?

Following an outbreak of JE in 2009 in the Bodh Gaya division of Bihar, a massive vaccination campaign was launched in that division and no further cases of JE were reported. Inexplicably such vaccination campaigns were not organized in other divisions of the state. Result – fresh outbreak in another division (Magadh).

The local hospital is also in shambles with water and power shortages and the only ventilator lying useless.

ResearchBlogging.org Mackenzie, J., Gubler, D., & Petersen, L. (2004). Emerging flaviviruses: the spread and resurgence of Japanese encephalitis, West Nile and dengue viruses Nature Medicine, 10 (12s) DOI: 10.1038/nm1144

8 comments:

  1. niclushennery said...
  2. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful.acne aid ราคา

  3. Isabella Math said...
  4. Nothing is not possible in this word.
    Herpes I cried out for 8moths had a cure and was making use of the Medication that never wanted a life living on drugs, I applied Antibiotics, he prescribed for me the acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex).
    They never get me cured.
    My God keep blessing you and your Family. Dr
    ODEY ABANG, your a powerful Herbalist fir your work in my life
    I wish you know how I feel inside me when I was making use of does tablets that never could there get me cured. I had to search about some of my favourite blogs when I thought about Dr Odey abang from the testimonies of patients and I remember a friend who told me I should try Dr. Odey Abang herbal medicine. He told me the man can cure me,but was shy and feel its dirty taking in herbs made with African herbalists.
    You need to know I would have been cured before now since I knew him then, but still interested in letting you that was my punishment.
    Thanks reading my article, feel good and not make my mistake, I love testimonies and explanations of the new beginning is all I hope for
    Think about your live and use herbs to get you cured of your challenge on
    HIV/Aids
    SYPHILIS
    DIABETES
    CANCER
    ALL CAN BE CURED WITH MANY OTHERS BY DR. ODEY ABANG
    His email is for you so you speak to him

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

  5. Laura Mildred said...
  6. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him: +2347012841542 

  7. Emma Mily said...
  8. I AM SO VERY HAPPY TODAY!!! That is why am giving this big thanks to Dr. Williams for curing me from HERPES. I have been suffering from HERPES for the past six (6)years and i tried everything possible to get myself cured but i couldn't get any solution! until i decided to try herbal cure. That was how i got in contact with this great herbal doctor in an online research, i contacted him and demand for the cure and he send me the cure through UPS and gave me instructions on how to use it and after one week of taking the herbal medicine of Dr. Williams i went to the hospital for check and to God be the glory i tested HERPES negative, (I am so glad to see myself HERPES negative once again). I’m very proud to express my happiness through this platform and to say a big thanks to Dr. Williams for restoring my life back to normal. You can as well contact Dr. Williams via Email: drwilliamscure@gmail.com or What-app 2347040461868 if you are infected with HERPES virus or having any health problems you can contact Dr. Williams and he will help you. DOCTOR williams CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:1. HIV/AIDS 2. HERPES 3. CANCER of all kind 4. HSV 1&2 5. Hepatitis B 6.Diabetes 7.HPV 8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) 9.Asthma 10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma 11.Sickle cells 12.CHRONIC PANCREATITIS Dr. Williams Email:drwilliamscure@gmail.com, his whats-app +2347040461868, his website:https://drwilliamscure.wixsite.com/herbalhome.

  9. Robert Rose said...
  10. Dr Ishiaku herbal medicine is mighty and genuine, I used Melissa oil and Lavender Healing herbs but result were just still the same but using Dr Ishiaku herbs cured my herpes final and I have being living for 2 years now No Sores.My herpes is truly gone.Contact him if you interested of his herbal medicine…he can aslo cure HIV, DIABETICS and other STDs
    You contact him on
    📞WhatsApp +2348180828544
    📧Email: ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com

    Website:www.Ishiakuherbalcure.wordpress.com

  11. matina Roberta said...
  12. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breathe much better and It feels comfortable!

  13. Anonymous said...

  14. [Please authorize this post]

    For Natural herbal Remedies....Contact him now for a herpes cure.

    ___________________ robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com …..

    I am cured from herpes…it works…

  15. Anonymous said...
  16. I was cured___________Sure Treatment for herpes!!

    Please contact:

    Email R.buckler11 (((@gmail……com)))

    Thanks for reading!

Post a Comment