Problem of arthritis treatment in elderly

Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 | Posted by Debajyoti Datta | Labels:

My father complained of pain in his right knee about one year ago. Initially he ignored it, thinking it to be due to overexertion but gradually the pain increased in intensity. There was restriction of movement in of the right knee joint. On examination, he was provisionally diagnosed as having osteoarthritis of the knee, confirmed with X-ray. He was prescribed Diacrein tablets and Aceclofenac 100 mg for pain control along with antacids. What happened next highlights the problem of treatment of arthritis in the elderly.

His arthritis was well controlled with medications. But after about 7 months on the treatment, he started feeling shortness of breath when he used the stairs. His blood pressure also spiked. When I examined him, I thought I have heard an ejection systolic murmur. Understandably I was worried. All the bad diagnoses came to my mind. He was examined by a cardiologist, my teacher actually, but he disagreed about the murmur. To establish a diagnosis, an ECG, chest X-ray and echocardiography was performed. Nothing was found. The cardiologist asked to discontinue the Aceclofenac and arranged for follow-up. A coronary angiogram was scheduled to be performed if the shortness of persisted on follow-up. On discontinuation of aceclofenac, my father did not complain of any shortness of breath. Presently, his arthritis is well controlled with acetaminophen (paracetamol).

This small anecdote demonstrates the problem in the control of pain in elderly arthritis patients besides the gastrointestinal problems caused by NSAIDs. Treatment of pain with Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) causes significant cardiovascular problems. Several studies have shown NSAID use in elderly is an independent risk factor for hypertension (links given below). NSAIDs block the cyclooxygenase enzyme, nonselective NSAIDs block both COX-1 and COX-2 isoforms. COX-1 synthesize prostaglandins which are responsible for vasodilation and COX-2 produce prostaglandins which maintain diuresis and natriuresis. NSAIDs, thus may hypertension either by blocking the natriuresis causing sodium and water retention and by blocking vasodilation and production of vasoconstricting endothelins. A careful history taking is therefore of paramount importance while NSAIDs are prescribed to elderly as hypertension is a major risk factor for a variety of cardiovascular problems like myocardial infarction, stroke etc.

Currently there is interest in another novel group of drugs, which are CINODs (Cyclooxygenase inhibiting nitric oxide donators), which have much favourable gastrointestinal profile, and less chance of development of hypertension. As far as I know, at present CINODs are not marketed in India, but the introduction of CINODs will open up a new option arthritis treatment.

Links:

NSAID and hypertension
1.                  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1381681/
CINODs

3 comments:

  1. shoulder pain said...
  2. Hi

    The Same thing happens with my parents too. I then got help from homeo medicines and it really work for my father.

    Regards
    Jmaes Trovato

  3. Rajinder Singh said...
  4. A lot of people are unable to afford Arthritis treatment surgery due to its high cost. You can visit Kalyan Hospital, a leading orthopedic center based in Ludhiana.

  5. Isabella Math said...
  6. Nothing is not possible in this word.
    Herpes I cried out for 8moths had a cure and was making use of the Medication that never wanted a life living on drugs, I applied Antibiotics, he prescribed for me the acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), andvalacyclovir (Valtrex).
    They never get me cured.
    My God keep blessing you and your Family. Dr
    ODEY ABANG, your a powerful Herbalist fir your work in my life
    I wish you know how I feel inside me when I was making use of does tablets that never could there get me cured. I had to search about some of my favourite blogs when I thought about Dr Odey abang from the testimonies of patients and I remember a friend who told me I should try Dr. Odey Abang herbal medicine. He told me the man can cure me,but was shy and feel its dirty taking in herbs made with African herbalists.
    You need to know I would have been cured before now since I knew him then, but still interested in letting you that was my punishment.
    Thanks reading my article, feel good and not make my mistake, I love testimonies and explanations of the new beginning is all I hope for
    Think about your live and use herbs to get you cured of your challenge on
    HIV/Aids
    SYPHILIS
    DIABETES
    CANCER
    ALL CAN BE CURED WITH MANY OTHERS BY DR. ODEY ABANG
    His email is for you so you speak to him

    Odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

Post a Comment